Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Post-Thanksgiving Potatoes

Hopefully you're like me and can never reach your fill of sweet potatoes. If not, you may have to skip this post since Thanksgiving probably wore you out on them. I found this recipe on spoon fork bacon for mashed purple sweet potatoes and was immediately intrigued. At first because I never knew purple sweet potatoes existed, but then because it sounded delicious.



I adapted the recipe - obvious statement since my potatoes are clearly not purple - but other than using normal sweet potatoes, I mostly just tried to simplify it a little bit to avoid buying too many items at the grocery store. Here's a tip to possibly help your grocery store budget with these too - yams are the same thing, so if there's a price difference (there was a $1 per pound price difference at my store) yams work too.

I didn't add the maple butter listed in the original recipe, so if you do let me know how you like it. It sounds amazing and I would like to try that the next time I make these.

The hardest part of this recipe is the time it takes to peel and chop the potatoes (they're much harder than normal potatoes), the rest of it is extremely simple and most definitely worth it because they're one of, if not the, most delicious things I've ever made and eaten. My favorite compliment on the potatoes came from my boyfriend's dad who said it was like eating ice cream. I'll take it.

(Adapted from spoon fork bacon)

What You Need
2-3 large yams (serves two people, increase accordingly for more people)
1/3 cup of heavy cream, warmed
1/4 cup (half a stick) of butter, melted (I just softened mine which worked too)
2 tablespoons of maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt

How You Make It
-Peel and chop the sweet potatoes 
-Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water
-Place pot over high heat and bring to a boil, boil until they're fork tender (this took me about 20 minutes)
-Drain potatoes and place back in pot
-Add heavy cream, butter and salt
-Mash, with a potato masher or electric hand mixer, until creamy
-Stir in maple syrup and cinnamon
-Scoop into a large bowl, serve and enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. These were absolutely yummy - we'll be making them again!

    ReplyDelete