Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Stuff to snack on


My roommates spoiled me. I had to face a lot of harsh realizations entering the real world without them - the harshest one of all may have been that not all guacamole tastes as good as Danielle's. She always made us fresh guacamole so I never knew anything else . . . until I didn't have Danielle in my apartment and I was craving guacamole. So I learned how to make it for myself (with her text message recipe) and trust me, if I can do it so can you. Especially since I'm giving you a recipe and all my helpful hints after the jump . . .




This is probably a pretty simple version of guacamole, but I like it so hopefully you will too.

What you need:
2 avocados *
1 tomato **
1 onion **
1 clove of garlic **
Splash of lemon juice
(You can also add a little cilantro if you like!)

* This is how many I use to make guacamole for just me, so if you have more guacamole eaters you should probably use more avocados. Also, don't forget you'll probably need more tomatoes, onions and garlic then too.

**These ingredients can vary based on personal preference. Sometimes I add more, sometimes less - it all depends on what tastes good to you.


How you make it:
-Cut the avocados in half, throw out the pits and scoop out the insides into a medium-size bowl.
-Mash up the avocado. (Hint: potato mashers work well for this. So do hand mixers.)
-Chop up as much tomato and onion as you would like and add it to the bowl.
-Figure out how much garlic you're going to use, and chop it up. Or you could also smash it with the flat side of a knife, that seems to be a lot easier than trying to chop it. Add to the bowl.
-Stir in the tomato, onion and garlic.
-Add a splash of lemon juice to help the avocados not turn brown.
-Grab a bag of chips.
-Enjoy!

Hint: This recipe can be made even easier (and faster) if you have a food processor too!


-Alissa

No comments:

Post a Comment