Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Don't knock it until you try it

A few months ago, fried pickles were the last thing I would ever consider ordering off a menu. Now they're a weekly staple when I have dinner with Becky and Kate, and I find myself wanting them on the off weeks when we don't have dinner. So to satisfy my fried pickle cravings, I've been looking for a recipe to make them on my own. I recently came across this one from The Vanilla Tulip that I think I'm going to try out - the cilantro garlic ranch recipe that accompanies it sounds delicious too.


Photo from Paula Deen's fried pickle recipe

This recipe is actually for baked pickles - I've been looking for that because I have a bad track record trying to fry things. I also love that it uses basically everything I already have in my kitchen. I may be stopping at the store to pick up some pickles on the way home from work . . . Check out the recipe for these "fried" pickles after the jump, and check out the link to The Vanilla Tulip post to get the recipe for the cilantro garlic ranch dip too. I'll be sure to update this when I try it out!

"Fried" Pickles (from The Vanilla Tulip)

What you need:
1 jar of pickle slices
2 eggs
1/3 cup of flour
1 Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp of hot sauce
1 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp of Cajun seasoning
1 tsp of pepper
1 1/2 cups of panko bread crumbs

How you make it:
-Turn oven broiler on high. (I already know I'll have to disconnect my smoke alarm because the broiler always sets it off, so you may want to do that right now too.)
-Whisk eggs and flour together in a medium bowl.
-Add Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning and pepper, and mix well.
-Put panko crumbs into a shallow dish.
-Dunk each pickle slice into the egg/flour/spices mixture and the dredge it in panko crumbs.
-Place coated pickles on rack set above a baking sheet - be sure the rack is sprayed with no-stick spray.
-Place pan in middle rack of the oven.
-Broil for three minutes on each side.

No comments:

Post a Comment